views this month
Total views 2019
Tung Shin Hospital, previously known as Pooi Shin Thong, was founded in 1881 by Kapitan Cina Yap Kwan Seng, and located at Sultan Street, Kuala Lumpur. Initially, it merely provided traditional medical care for patients.Read More >
In 1894 it was converted into a non-profit organization and its name was changed to Tung Shin Hospital. The hospital was then shifted to the present address. A new single story ward was built in 1917. It was rebuilt in 1959 into a double storey, U-shape medical ward and completed in 1961. It was built and named the Welfare Ward and has since become the Chinese medical ward was built and named Loke Yim Ward. In 1963 it was rebuilt into a double-storey Female Ward which was completed a year later.
Har Par Building was built as a hall in 1935, it was converted into Chinese medical out-patient clinic, office, hostel and western specialist center. Presently become library of Chinese Medical Department and activities center for staff Sport and Recreation Club.
A bold expansion programme for Western Medical Department was initiated in 1985. This 10 storey block with a total built-up area of 240,000 sq. feet was finally completed in 1989. It has a bed capacity of 238.
In 2002, Lee Yan Lian Ward was demolished for the construction of a 12-storey Chinese Medical Building. The new block has a built up floor area of 180,000 sq. feet was completed in July 2005 and operational in January 2006. The building consist of Chinese Medical Department with out-patient clinics, in-patient ward with bed capacity of 108 beds, administration office, Tung Shin Academy of Nursing and hostel for staff with the capacity to accommodate 250 people